Thursday, June 02, 2005

Shake it up, baby

Last night I followed my usual routine of falling asleep on the couch. I can't go into my bedroom to sleep until after 1:00 a.m., because the family upstairs is always banging around in the room right above my bedroom. So, I start on the couch, and I wake up later and move into my room.

At 12:22 a.m. I woke up. I woke up because I was shaking. I mean, my apartment was shaking. Back and forth, back and forth. I laid there, sleepily thinking to myself, "Huh, earthquake." Looked at the clock, wondered if the Noisy Nasties were asleep yet, heard them drop something, and went back to sleep. Sometime later I got up and went to my bed.

So hey, I've been through my first Taiwan earthquake (that I noticed). It was 22 km east of Ilan City. Ilan is on the east coast, so I guess that means the epicenter was in the ocean, and the depth was at 57.7 km. Ilan felt it at 6.0, and Taipei County felt it as 4.0.

Gee, now I'm waiting for my first typhoon.....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just testing the comment function...

Anonymous said...

Typhoons aren't too bad, just stock up on food and water and stay inside till it's passed. :)