Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Taiwan music

Doing a little catching up on the journal & dating the entries the days they should have been written.

Tuesday evening my classmate, Kieko, and I went to The Wall to see Guoxi's band perform. There were other bands also performing, and Mojo was scheduled to be the last. When we got into the pub, the band that was onstage was in full swing, belting out numbers in Taiwanese. It took me a few minutes to realize that they were all blind! I don't know the name of the band, but they were very good and obviously a great favorite with the crowd.

The next band to perform featured a lead vocal/guitar player who is locally famous (I believe his name is Zhu Tou Pi - which translates to something like Pighead or Pig Dandruff, not sure which, neither one sounds good!), and the guy was just funnier than all get out. He kept switching from Taiwanese to a very exaggerated Beijing accented Mandarin, making us laugh so hard. Guoxi is going to let me borrow his CD one of these days when he remembers to bring it with him. They had a couple of guests play along with them, one guy with hair almost down to his waist, so small and delicate that I thought at first he was a girl. I need to find out who the second guest was, because he had a fabulous voice.

Mojo hit the stage very late, almost 11:30 p.m. Guoxi was happily playing his newest guitar from Japan, a spiffy Gibson, and while I enjoyed the music very much, I thought their singer wasn't all that good. His voice was very harsh and he didn't seem to be able to carry a tune. I had to be honest with Guoxi later and tell him that, and he said their band isn't meant to be so serious, that they are more like an "opera" and that the singer is an actor. Not really sure what that means......but I still don't like his singing! Guoxi rips on the guitar, though, excellent player.

So, by the time Mojo was done and had gotten their equipment packed, it was after 1:00 a.m. Guoxi, bless his heart, played chauffer, first taking two younger fans (who both had to be at school at 7:00 a.m. for a test!) home, then Kieko, then me. It was 2:19 a.m. when I hit the sack, and boy was I hating life in class on Wednesday morning! Kieko hadn't gotten to bed until almost 3:00 a.m., and Hiyoshi said he'd also stayed up until 2:00 a.m. because he had visitors from Japan, so the three of us weren't really at our best that day :)

No comments: