Saturday, April 30, 2005

Huh, and why am I not surprised?

A little report from the online Taiwan news service today:
Sleeping pills, including at least one controlled drug, were among the most heavily used medicines in Taiwan in 2004, the latest statistics on Taiwan's pharmaceuticals revealed.
Well, dang, if those people have the same kind of noisy upstairs neighbors as I do, I can't say that I blame them!

Yesterday (Friday) I got home around 2:15 p.m., after walking home all the way from Guan Du station (about 45-50 minutes, carrying a backpack full of books and other crap, and the weather was more than a little warm) and thought to myself, "Gee, a little nap would be nice." Oh sure, dream on, dear. A truck was unloading out front, lots of wood, a door, some other things. And very shortly the sounds of construction began. Nail guns rapping, hammers pounding, skillsaws whining. To drown out the sound, I finished watching The Return of the King, turning the volume up to 30 at times (in the evenings I'm watching at level 10 or 11 so as not to bother my next door neighbors). After the movie ended, I realized the construction was still in full swing. Ah well, time to play on the computer for awhile.

By the time 8:00 rolled around, and they had been going non-stop for almost six hours, I had a nice little headache. Still they continued, and yes, it was the family right above me, the curse of my days, family of the Demon Children from Hell Who Never Sleep. Dare I hope that they were building cages for these monsters? Unlikely, what a pity. At 8:30 I left and went to the local 7-11 for some beer (because I don't know where to buy sleeping pills!), chatted with the very nice mother/daughter team who work there (and mom looks more like older sis, love this moisture-filled air here), then went back home, fearful that I'd be hearing banging all night long. I'd already told Charlene that I may be asking her assistance to call up the local constabulary if they showed signs of going on well into the night.

I walked into the building - silence. Up the stairs and to my front door - silence. Went into my apartment - more silence. Am I in the right building? Strange. Watched a bit of another movie and at 10:00 decided that I was right pooped and would attempt sleep. Miracle of miracles! I was able to fall asleep and sleep (mostly) undisturbed until 8:00 this morning! I feel like a new person. But now it's that "waiting for the other shoe to fall" feeling. I can hear them moving around up there, and there are still big sheets of what looks like paneling in the hallways, so I'm guessing they aren't finished. What I'd really like them to do is install wall-to-wall carpeting, preferably six inches thick, so I don't have to listen to those kids bouncing their steel bowling balls anymore!

Methinks I'll be spending most of today out and about, lest the urge to kill overcome me and I march upstairs with my stuffed shark on my head armed with sharpened chopsticks to end my torment.

No comments: